BISHOP Wordsworth's captain Cadan Murley scored two tries to help England under 18s make a winning start to the 2016-17 season with a 43-14 victory over France.
In tough conditions at Aylesbury RFC in front of a crowd of 1,671, the hosts deservedly led 12-7 at half-time after a try each from full-back Elliott Obatoyinbo and wing Murley, who is a member of the Harlequins Academy.
England’s dominance continued into the second period as John Fletcher’s side ran in five more tries with Cameron Redpath, Charlie Wright, Tom Seabrook, Ted Hill and Murley again all crossing to create the comfortable victory.
England U18s will now turn their attentions to their match against Scotland U18s at Preston Grasshoppers RFC next Sunday (March 12, 2pm).
The contest will be streamed live on Englandrugby.com.
England U18 Head Coach John Fletcher said: “I think the score is a fair reflection of how the game went and we are pleased with the performance. When we had the ball we made good decisions and without the ball we were physical and didn’t allow a strong French side to get on top. The players had to adapt to lots of different situations today in tricky conditions so for us that was really pleasing.
“We will make quite a few changes for the next game against Scotland to give other players an opportunity, but hopefully we will get a similar performance.”
15. Elliott Obatoyinbo (Saracens – Harrow School)
14. Tom Seabrook (Gloucester Rugby – Dean Close)
13. Oli Morris (Saracens – New Hall)
12. Fraser Strachan (Northampton Saints – Bedford School)
11. Cadan Murley (Harlequins – Bishop Wordsworth’s Grammar School)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins - Brighton College)
9. Will Porter (Wasps – Merchant Taylors School)
1. Tom Rowland (Bristol Rugby – Bristol Grammar School)
2. Will Capon (Bristol Rugby – Bristol Grammar School)
3. Marcus Street (Exeter Chiefs – Exeter College)
4. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors – Worcester College)
5. James Scott (Worcester Warriors – Malvern College)
6. Tom Willis (Wasps – The Henley College)
7. Sean Reffell (Saracens – Harrow School)
8. Sam Moore (Sale Sharks – Sedburgh School).
16. Nick Rigby (Worcester Warriors - Warwick School)
17. Nic Dolly (Sale Sharks)
18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers - Wyggeston & QEI College)
19. Josh Basham (London Irish - Wellington College)
20. Charlie Wright (Exeter Chiefs - Exeter College)
21. Ollie Fox (Yorkshire Carnegie - New College Pontefract)
22. Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks – Sedburgh School)
23. Iwan Hughes (Bristol Rugby - SGS College).
Tries: Obatoyinbo, Murley (2), Redpath, Wright, Seabrook, Hill
Conversions: Smith, Redpath (3)